Blog Archive

Thursday 24 March 2016

Cantonese Dumpling ( Sui Gao) soup & deep fry recipe


This picture of me and her was taken a year ago. And she is 59 years old 


At my young age, every times my mother announced to us, that the next day either our lunch or dinner's menu will be dumpling!?! 
The expression that came out from my mouth will be ' Ho......Yeh!!!! ' here it's means good thing.
'Ho' meaning good & 'Yeh' meaning thing. It's actually a slang. And most of the time when I said it. I'll drag the tone and expressed it with full excitement and eerie giggles. 
Most probably because I am a freak.
My weird expression towards this dish not because how delicious my mother did her gourmet. Back then at that age I have not attend my trainning to be a food critic yet.  But it was all about having the fun. 
First, to watched my beautiful mother showed her arts in the kitchen.
Second, my brother & I will have the permission to enter the forbidden place to helped (play) her.
And that was the most beautiful memories I captured about eating dumplings.

Today I want exposed my mother's recipe and hope one day your children will remember yours.





INGREDIENTS
500g minced beef
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup slice radish or 1/2 cup slice black fungus
1/2 cup chop spring onions
1/2 cup chop coriander leaves & stalk
1/2  cup diced Chinese turnip
2-3 drops sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic oil
1 packet dumpling skin
Salt and pepper to taste

Filling Preparation
1. Best to mixed the ingredients together thoroughly with your palm. Using the method of 'lift & throw' continuously to the meat until you start to feel the texture becoming a bit sticky / springy.



Culinary & Dumpling Wrapping
You are allow to use other utensils including chopstick ( perhaps this will feel more oriental) however using a teaspoon to scoop the amount of the filling will solves this recipe cooking task.
1. Give an exact 1 teaspoon and slightly spread the filling for each wrap.
2. Fold in half until it's in a crescent shape.
3. Damp the edge of the dumpling skin with your fingertips.
4. Press the pleat for seal & shape hold.
Or
watch the video tutorial below.





Assembling the dumpling on a day ahead or 2 hours earlier it's not quite a smart move. The fussy taster might realize you cheat on your work.
1.uncooked skin will wet. It will harden once it's cooked.
  2. Preheat or reheat, often gets gooey or soggy skin.

Cooking the dumpling.
1. Once the water is rolling boil, slowly put in dumpling.
2.Dumpling will start to float but it is not cooked yet. 
3.Cook for about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.




Soup Recipe
1. Prepare your broth earlier. The broth base can be any type broth. 
2. Pour the soup once the dumpling is cook in bowls to serve.
3. Add few chop onion springs & pepper into the soup to taste.



Deep Fry Recipe
1. Deep fry your dumpling in a pan over a hot oil.
2. Make sure the oil is hot otherwise the dumpling skin will not become crispy but soggy instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment